Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Anticipation...

My daughter is getting married in June, in a big boat that will be floating out in the Halifax harbour. It's going to be lovely. Lovely, and probably a bit chilly ... probably about 15 celcius, which means the bride, who will be wearing a lovely off the shoulder gown, will need something to put over her to ward off the cold. Something that won't detract from the beauty of her gown and of the occasion. And it's been driving me crazy! A sweater just didn't seem right... 

But I finally hit on it. I've never knit a shawl before, but isn't this the perfect time to start one? But I was hesitant. Should I really try something new for such an important event? I wasn't sure, so I signed up and took the first session of a two-parter workshop on Knitted Lace for Beginners  at Mouline here in Montreal. I learned that lace is all about yarn-overs and knit 2 togethers, and ssk ... then it hit me. I've knitted lace before.  Rosita is lace!! 

And I learned that lace is also all about using techniques such as provisional cast-ons so you can avoid cast-ons and cast-offs so your lace stays loose and flexible. and I learned how to do that earlier this winter when I was knitting fingerless gloves from Vogue's holiday magazine!! 

Which means I'm not risking anything. I know how to do this already. All I need is a pattern, and time, and Jen's approval! 

I got the pattern the Autumn Arbor Shawl, which Jennifer and I both love, I have the yarn (Misti Baby Alpaca Lace) and since it's only February now and the wedding is in June, I also have the time. 

So why am I not knitting yet? Because I'm waiting for the swatch I knit so Jen can give final approval to yarn and colour, to be delivered by snail mail to her house!!!! You know, I should have sent it courier. These fingers are just itching to get started on it .... 


No comments: