Saturday, February 21, 2009

From the mouths of babes ...

My landlord came over to install new doors for my kitchen cupboards this morning (which have gone door-less since November, but that's another story) and he brought his four year old  son with him. He's a delightfully charming boy (I'm talking about the son, now, not the landlord though he's nice too) and after watching his dad for a while came to see what I was up to. 

I was frogging one sweater which I didn't like and am repurposing the yarn for another pattern which I think I'll like much more. 

Whatcha doing? the boy asks. 

I'm knitting, say I. 

Oh, says the boy. What's it going to be? 

Well actually, I reply, I'm taking apart a sweater I knit because I didn't like it and I'm going to use the yarn to knit another one. 

He looks puzzled. He comes closer and taps on the sweater I'm frogging. 

Is this the one you don't like? he asks. 

Yep

And what's this one? now he taps on a sweater back lying beside me. 

That's a new one, one I DO like. See, I'm using this yarn from the sweater I don't like to make a new sweater that I do like. 

He looks closely at the one I'm frogging, which is mostly moss stitch, and looks at the new one which has fancy rib, twisted rib, and cables. Then he nods.

Yes, he says with great approval. This one (tapping the one I'm frogging) is just all this pebbly stuff, but that other one has all those nice lines and stuff. I like looking at the new one. 

I smile and nod in agreement. 

He steps back and takes a good look at me. So  --  you're not really knitting then, he declares. 

I'm not? I ask, a little surprised. 

No, he says. You're unknitting. When you finish with the pebbly one and then work on this other one, THEN you'll be knitting again. But right now, you're just unknitting. 


1 comment:

Sean and Jenn said...

I told Sean this story. We both thought it was so sweet. Unknitting!