Monday, February 9, 2009

LOVE knitting nordics...

Turns out I love knitting nordic mittens. I love watching the pattern emerge slowly (because I am so new to this I am going v e r y    s l o w l y), I love love love the complexity (well, it's complex for me!) of switching between the two colours, of knitting to a graph... I can't believe I've never done this before. I love the craft. I love creating something this beautiful. 

I felt the same way when I was working on the reversible cables for the wrap I just knit. I actually found that I really enjoyed knitting up those shapes, that creating those curving patterns was truly relaxing. And now that I think of it, the rolling hills of the Palouse had a similar effect. There's something soothing about those undulating shapes. 

I wonder why that is? 

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I saw on panoptican that you are a bicycling knitter. Actually, I liked "bicycling knitting" because it sounds like a partial string of adjectives that describe you. Any others you'd like to share? I noticed other things we have in common besides knitting and bicycling - I'm also a Sagittarius, I'm 52, I lived in Ontario for half my life (now in New York State, about 4 hours from Montreal). But when I read that you LOVE knitting nordic mittens, I knew I had to contact you. I just finished a hat, my first two-handed, two-color knitting and discovered I really like chart knitting. I want to knit mittens. And there you are, raving about them. Hey, I'm going to Ravelry to look for you and maybe a nordic mitten pattern too!

Shiari said...

A fellow sag who knits, rides, and nordics. how cool is that? I'm also a drumming knitting and bass-playing knitting, but I not really since I mostly just pretend to play those and never ever in front of other people ;-)

I grew up in Northern Ontario, spent 10 year in the Washington State, and came to Montreal about 2.5 years ago. I can't believe I came back to live in snow, but there you have it. You just never know where live is going to take you!

I do love the mittens. I'm on ravelry (as Shiari) and that's where I found the Egyptian mittens. I really do love watching the pattern emerge.

I've been temporarily sidetracked by lace, which is also charted, also something that lets you watch a pattern slowly emerge. Isn't knitting great!