Sunday, May 31, 2009

Autumn Arbor is blocking...

And here it is! I decided to block it in my spare room. I laid down a couple cotton blankets and laid a flat white sheet on top of that. I washed the shawl very, very carefully then wrapped it in a towel for about a half hour so the towel could soak up some of the water.

I then laid out the shawl (also carefully) and did not stretch it out right away but instead started at one end, pinned out the end and then started down the sides. I worked my way down the sides together, pinning down 7 points on one side, then 7 on the other, stretching the body in between. It didn't take quite as along as I had expected. About 45 minutes. I used up all but one of my blocking pins (I think the box comes with 200 but am not sure). The shawl is some 95 inches long. In fact, my spare room is quite cozy, so the shawl is actually laid out so that it goes just a bit into the actual doorway.

It'll dry fast. I was actually worried that the unpinned end would dry before I got it all pinned out, but it didn't. I'll leave it there for at least 24 hours, maybe longer. I cannot wait to unpin in and see how it looks.

I do love knitting lace!

No comments: